Juliet Madison is visiting the virtual offices this morning to chat about her new book Fast Forward. Check out what she has to say about her latest release!
[Manga Maniac Cafe] Describe yourself in 140 characters or less.
[Juliet Madison] Writer, mother, creative, passionate, determined, daydreamer, positive, health-conscious, thinker, helper, impatient, night owl.
[Manga Maniac Cafe] Can you tell us a little about Fast Forward?
[Juliet Madison] Fast Forward is a romantic comedy with a time-travel twist, out now from Escape Publishing. Here’s the blurb:
Aspiring supermodel, Kelli Crawford seems destined to marry her hotshot boyfriend, but on her twenty-fifth birthday she wakes in the future as a fifty-year-old suburban housewife married to the now middle-aged high school nerd.
Trapped in the opposite life of the one she wanted, Kelli is forced to re-evaluate her life and discover what is really important to her. Will she overcome the hilarious and heartbreaking challenges presented to her and get back to the body of her younger self? Or will she be stuck in the nightmare of hot flushes, demanding children, raunchy advances from her husband and hideous support underwear forever?
[Manga Maniac Cafe] How did you come up with the concept and the characters for the story?
[Juliet Madison] I came up with the concept when I was reading a book where a character acted beyond her years, and I thought it would be fun to write about a character ageing suddenly and jumping ahead to the future. I remembered movies like Suddenly 30 (13 Going on 30), Big, and 17 Again, but in all of these, the character becomes a ‘desirable’ age – youthful, energetic, successful, attractive…etc, so I decided to do the opposite – take a beautiful young character and make her an age she doesn’t want to be, in a life she doesn’t want to be in. I chose a model because I wanted to have a character who relied on her looks for her career suddenly realise she doesn’t have those looks anymore and has to discover who she really is on the inside. And because her boyfriend is a gorgeous, successful, rich man, I made her husband in the future someone completely different – a geek she used to tease in high school.
[Manga Maniac Cafe] What three words best describe Kelli?
[Juliet Madison] Young Kelli – Beautiful, idealistic, certain
Future Kelli – confused, determined, resourceful
[Manga Maniac Cafe] If Kelli had a theme song, what would it be?
[Juliet Madison] Young Kelli – Material Girl (Madonna)
Future Kelli – Help! (The Beatles)
[Manga Maniac Cafe] Name one thing Kelli won’t leave the house without.
[Juliet Madison] Young Kelli – shine control oil blotting sheets
Future Kelli – e-pad (an awesome invention you’ll read about in the book!)
[Manga Maniac Cafe] What three things will you never find in Kelli’s purse?
[Juliet Madison] Cheap make-up, junk food, a library card.
[Manga Maniac Cafe] What are your greatest creative influences?
[Juliet Madison] Other authors’ books, great movies, well-written television shows… these all reinforce the power of fiction to enrich our lives and they get me itching to write! Also nature, there’s something about it that inspires me and brings out my creative side.
[Manga Maniac Cafe] What three things do you need in order to write?
[Juliet Madison] 1.Time.
2. My trusty Alphasmart NEO (or computer).
3. A brief list of plot points for what I’m going to be writing about.
[Manga Maniac Cafe] What is the last book that you read that knocked your socks off?
[Juliet Madison] It was actually a non-fiction book called Dying To Be Me by Anita Moorjani, about her near death experience. Fascinating stuff, and very inspiring.
[Manga Maniac Cafe] If you had to pick one book that turned you on to reading, which would it be?
[Juliet Madison] The Magic Faraway Tree by Enid Blyton. I loved escaping into the world of the tree, it taught me how powerful the imagination is and how powerful books can be.
[Manga Maniac Cafe] What do you like to do when you aren’t writing?
[Juliet Madison] Reading, watching movies and TV shows, exploring the shops in town, having lunch at the beach, chatting on facebook and twitter!
[Manga Maniac Cafe] How can readers connect with you?
[Juliet Madison] Website: http://www.julietmadison.com
Buy FAST FORWARD via Escape Publishing: http://www.escapepublishing.com.au
[Manga Maniac Café] Thank you!
Update – You can see the winners here. Thanks!
GIVEAWAY (From Juliet’s website):
You can WIN:
1. Grand Prize of a $50 Amazon gift card
2. Runner-up prize of a $25 Amazon gift card
3. Bonus prize of a $25 Amazon gift card (for those who purchase the book)
HOW TO ENTER:
1. Leave a comment on my interviews or posts at any (or all) of the blogs I’ll be visiting during February. For every comment you leave (one per blog) you get one entry into the draw. So if you comment on ten blogs, you’ll get ten entries, if you comment on fifteen, you’ll get fifteen entries, and so on. Some blogs may require that you leave your email address in the comment so be sure to read the instructions at each post. One person will be chosen randomly to win the $50 card, and another person will win the $25 card which will be delivered via email.
2. To win the bonus prize of another $25 Amazon gift card, purchase Fast Forward and then forward your receipt to a dedicated email address: fastforwardbook(at)gmail(dot)com – replace (at) with @ and (dot) with . One lucky reader will be chosen randomly to win the gift card. If you enter both draws (leaving comments and forwarding your receipt) you could potentially win both prizes!
Will be drawn at the conclusion of the blog tour, around the first weekend in March. You will be notified via email so be sure to leave your address in the comments if asked to. If you’re not asked to, it means your address will be able to be seen by the blog owner and passed onto me.
You can order Fast Forward from your favorite bookseller of by clicking the link below.
About the book: